Tuesday, February 24, 2015

AoW Impressions - 2/20/15

     There are many similarities between most of the articles I gathered information by my peers. ISIS is obviously a major conflict for the World. Most articles articles were about ISIS or either connected to ISIS. Even when it is not mentioned. For example, my article which was about the C.I.A buying chemical weapons from Iraq in secret and destroying them. My article never mentioned ISIS but does relate to it. Aside from my article, I was able to gain more specifics on the recent ISIS tragedy. The beheading of 21 Egyptians as a result of an attack from Egypt to ISIS's camps. A lot of terrorist action not just from ISIS but from other terrorist groups I have never heard of, Boko Horam. Then there were articles that were about diseases and the preparations of epidemics for Ebola. One article was about the negative effects with technology. An article I found unique was about language experts claiming that english should be fixed because it is improper and most of the words are not pronounced how they are spelled. The second major conflict is discrimination on many things such as gender, race, or just the features of a person. One of my peer's article's was about gender equality in Turkey. Women are not treated well there and are protesting while the government does nothing but let them get killed. Another article is centered on a 17 year old girl named Molly who was made fun of because of her features but eventually turned out to be a model. Lastly, in Russia a 16 year old homosexual male came out to his father then was sent to his grandmother who sent him to a "witch" to seek help. Eventually, he ended up with doctors who drugged his body and because of overdose he became ill and was kept quarantined. Activists freed him but later was charged of kidnap.         

     Wow. Our world could be falling apart or it may be improving. It all just depends on an individual's point of view. ISIS is something the whole world should be on a look out for. Anyone can get attacked at any moment and anywhere. I agree that there are many negative effects on technology. Though there are positive effects as well. Which leaves me awkwardly in the middle of wether technology is good or bad. English, the language, I am sure may be proper if used the right way with the right wording. It is all a matter of play on words. The spelling I do agree that most words are not pronounced how they are spelled but I need more knowledge on other languages and spelling to make a conclusion for that. Once again I am awkwardly in the middle. Equality situation in Turkey makes me realize that our country, the United States, is fortunate than other countries because we have more freedom.  I will admit the US is still going through some tough stuff. Overall, this week's AoWs made me do a lot of thinking, and I am grateful for that.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are right! It really does depend on the person's point of view. I'm glad the articles got you thinking!

    ReplyDelete