Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Giver - Week of 11/18/13

Prompt: What was going through your mind as you read?
Pages Read: 1-34


     I first saw "The Giver" when I went to the book store Barnes & Noble. I thought it was really interesting, so I put it on my "to read" section in Good Reads. Then later on, other people in my school started telling me that it was boring and other bad things about the book. I got a little discouraged to read it. Thankfully I do get to read it!

     "The Giver" so far, is an amazing world you get sucked into! I actually feel like I live there. Which I am happy I don't because while I was reading this book I thought it was a place that was a too perfect utopia. Everything is too organized and you feel like you can not have some privacy or space. I would feel like I do not have any freedom at all. My job would get chosen for me, I would need to start doing stuff at a young age when I am still not fully responsible yet, and their rules are very strict.

    This book made me feel anger towards it but I still like it because I need to be patient and keep on reading. I thought Lois Lowry, the author, writes in a way that brings the book alive. Which is really spectacular! Her creative thoughts are very simple yet interesting. In the beginning, as I was reading, my curiosity grew more and more as to what will Jonas be. The narrator never told us the interest Jonas likes so I do not know what will his job be. Based of what I know about Jonas, I had to find out like that. By making predictions will at least get some of my questions answered.

     By the way Jonas' family thought how foreign their comfort toy looks it leaves me wondering what happened to the animals! Many things could have happened to them. Also I wonder how much has technology improved. All these questions popping in my head makes me ache for more answers. I guess what you could say what was going through my mind as I read was curiosity. This curiosity motivates me to continue reading which I will, and I must because it is an assignment for school.


3 comments:

  1. I also heard people say it was a boring book. Maybe it's like what Mrs. Larson said, they probably didn't like it because they didn't understand it. I'm also wondering what happened to the animals! Maybe they were never there? I can't wait to read more of this book! Good blog post, I couldn't agree more with what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on Isabelle R, Nadrian, and Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book awhile ago, but I remember enjoying it. I can connect to what you said about it sucking you into their world, I read this book in about 2 days :D I'm glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete