Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My Reflection on Poetry Unit


Sarai Zamora
3•4•14
Poetry Reflection

Poetry can really inspire lot of people in many different ways. A way poetry helps me is to get excitement out of my system. I once wrote a poem based on a book series called, “The Infernal Devices.” I am such a huge fan of these books that I can get very exhilarated while reading them. Sometimes I do not feel elated at times, so instead I write something unplanned that sort of relates to my situation. I never usually want to write my full life into it because I love using my own imagination and keeping my life incognito. 

Even though poetry could help me in a variety of ways, poetry is not meant for everyone. I know this because some people do not have minds that would go that far. Maybe they do have the mind but prefer to do something else than writing. Some people may express themselves in writing put not in poetry form. I know this because I have asked four people if poetry helps them in life and if so how. Two of them answered yes and used almost the same reason as me and the other two said no. Their reasoning was of what I have mentioned before. 

Many people write poetry based on life experiences. For example like poet Billy Collins wrote a poem called, “The Names,” based on the tragic real life story of 9/11. Life experiences also affects poetry by giving the poem a better visual. By giving a poem a better visual, it gives it more of a realistic feel to it. How a poet can give a poem a realistic feel is by adding description into what their experience was. In my a opinion a great poet would add description to the five senses, see, smell, taste, sound, and feel. In order for a poet to know how to perfectly describe one of the five senses they would need to have experience, if they were to not have experience then the poet would make false ideas which the poem would loose its reality. Unless the poem is about how someone imagines an adventure they have never experienced before or if it is a made up narrative poem.

Poetry has a way to create a world in the poet’s mind. When the poet writes down their ideas and structures the ideas to make a poem he/she is putting a world into our minds. The same goes with books and authors. That is the world of literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment