Wednesday, December 17, 2014

To Kill A Mockingbird; 12/15/14

Pages Read: FINISHED
Author: Harper Lee
Prompt: Do you think that the book was realistic?

     To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those inordinate novels that just leave you meditative. I do not mean inordinate in a bad way, but in a much more positively grateful way. Literature pieces themed coming-of-age have always left a sentimental feeling in me. Sometimes coming-of-age stories try too hard to get that emotional grasp. That it just leaves it unrealistic. Nonetheless, To Kill a Mockingbird gave more of a realistic feel to the reader because it was not forced scenery or emotion. In a way it wasn't overly dramatic. Everything went soothingly like a mockingbird flying freely not disturbing anyone.

     Since there were a variety of themes in this novel, it helped it not be rough and concentrated on just coming-of-age. It also taught something meaningful and truthful about the world. This book was written a few years after the time it takes place, not much difference. Therefore, it gives the present readers an accurate perspective of life back then. For example, racial discrimination is one of the issues in To Kill a Mockingbird. We still have this problem today but not as severely. Due to the fact that we are able to compare some present day experiences to the 1930's gives that realistic feel.

     We all grow up and as we do we make mistakes and learn from them. Scout, the main character, is experiencing as well as her brother, Jem. One can relate a lot to them, especially me. Since I see and realize this connection between me and the characters it gives a realistic feel to it. With this I am able to interpret and make the conclusion that when one is able to connect to a book, that gives it a realistic feel. I may be wrong but this my overall conclusion. Therefore, yes, I do positively think the book, To Kill a Mockingbird, written by Harper Lee, was realistic.

2 comments:

  1. I liked how you included great vocabulary in your post by describing why TKAM could be realistic. In you writing I enjoyed how you described one of the themes which is growing up and that idea truly makes the book become more realistic. I totally agree about the inequality theme because racism still exists in the world especially in recent news with the numerous protests around the country. Great Blog Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on Citlalli, Nadrian, and Autumn.

    ReplyDelete