Thursday, April 23, 2015

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children - 4/20/15

Prompt: Describe a character you would like to meet (which doesn't mean that you think you would like the character, but that you think the character would be interesting.)
Pages Read: 1-39
Author: Ransom Riggs

     Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children has been quite an intense book from the start. I am still in the beginning but I can sense some tension. Knowing that I am in the beginning of the book and that there are exactly 330 pages left, there is much more coming in my reading adventure. I am not deep into the book to say wether I am enjoying it. The characters do seem to be realistic. They each have such a strong personality that is is easy to predict what part they take in. Of course, there are 330 pages, so this book still has a strong chance of taking a mysterious and menacing twist.

     Despite the fact that there are still many characters to be discovered, a character I would like to meet is Grandpa Portman. In the prologue, the main character, Jacob describes his grandpa as wild. When Jacob was a young boy he would visit his grandpa, once in a while. He would love his visits because Grandpa Portman would tell him stories about monsters chasing him. Grandpa Portman has a lot of adventures with fighting and killing monsters, and of course, it sets bewilderment upon young Jacob. As Jacob grows up he starts doubting Grandpa Portman's stories. Jacob confronts to his dad about the "lies" he has been told. His dad says they are part true, and it leaves Jacob in a confusing stage. Later, Jacob learns that the monsters Grandpa Portman was talking about are Nazis. The Holocaust in somehow intertwined with this book. Again, I am in the beginning of the book but my prediction is that the Holocaust will most definitely be involved.

     Grandpa Portman seems like the type of character who is that crazy uncle most have. His defining characteristics are adventurous, crazy, and wise. To me, this seems like a well-rounded person. My whole life my dad has taught me to be a well-rounded person which education, athletics, hobbies, and family/friends. Grandpa Portman seems to value a lot of things although his opinions do not get in the way of other's. When Jacob confronted Grandpa Portman's stories saying straight forward, "I do not believe in your stories anymore." Grandpa Portman's reply was "Okay." There is also a mystery side to Grandpa Portman. I cannot exactly put my finger on it but it is quite obvious to the reader he knows something that the rest of the characters do not know. Maybe, just maybe, there are still an existence of monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment