Thursday, April 30, 2015

Tuesdays With Morrie - 4/27/15

Pages Read: 130-151
Author: Mitch Albom

     Throughout reading, my eyes opened to many things. All of these aphorisms and life lessons made me see the world differently. In my opinion, every Tuesday should be taken of great value. Although, there was a Tuesday that stood out to me the most. The fourth Tuesday "We talk about death" stood out to me the most. Death is something most of us are scared of. We all live in a constant fear of death but we all know it will eventually happen. I am very curious to know what happens after death. I have considered reincarnation. Although, we do not know for sure what happens. Despite my curiosity, I try not to concentrate on that too much. Based on my religion and background influences I just believe in what is expected of me. To me, this avoids confusion.

     As mentioned before we all know death is imminent. In this chapter Morrie states, "Everyone know they're going to die, but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently." What I think he means is that we would live life awake. Not in a "sleepwalking" manner. "We really don't experience the world fully, because we're half-asleep, doing things we automatically think are have to do." If we stop this habit we would all take life seriously and enjoy it. Basically, make the best of it. Morrie says by being prepared for death is better "that way you can actually be more involved with your life while living." We all have the ability to make our own lives special. We just have to be involved and interested in it.

     I found this Tuesday meaningful because I figured death would be a sensitive topic to discuss since Morrie is dying. Knowing the kind of person Morrie is, this topic is probably the best one to discuss about with him. When Morrie was in his sixties he told a friend, "I'm gonna be the healthiest old man you ever met!" Mitch notices him being optimistic. Morrie replies "Why not? Like I said no one really believes they're going to die." This shows that Morrie does not alienate himself from the world's sleepwalking. Morrie includes himself in it and admits it. That takes courage and shows how wise a balanced he is. Second this shows that, Morrie knows more that anyone that death is going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment