Monday, May 18, 2015

Final Reflection

     This year went by faster than I anticipated, but when other years are added in I say to myself, "Finally." Despite the fact that most people say "High School are the real years," I will miss Middle School. I will be honest, I won't miss my classes or students, but I will miss Mrs. Larson's Accelerated English Language Arts class. We were a group of students who are motivated to do well and have a future. Even though there may be some students who claim to just be "winging it," they are not. They truly care. Being part of this class made me feel part of a special group. Throughout the years in this class, an abundance of things has changed. We have become young adults and let me reflect on what made this transformation.

     One of the three most important things I learned this year is how to become a better writer. I used to be blinded by how I wrote. My sentences had more than one thought or maybe no complete thoughts at all. My sentences would be run-ons because of the commas I did not include. I learned how to write a proper, non-fragment sentence. Second, I learned how to write argumentative essays. This requires a lot of research and evaluation. One also needs to make sure their source is reliable. Third, I learned how to read. I mean it in the way that I was taught how to analyze text, and make predictions for what it means. My vocabulary also grew, so I have other books too.

     What I will remember for the rest of my life from this class, will probably be the class itself. All my classmates are smart and bright students that I will remember a lot of things. Everyone was nice to each other, that I know of. When we would do gallery walks, everyone presented themselves nicely and the comments made were nice too. Now that I put thought into it, we're a smart, nice, and bright class.

     The best piece of writing I have done this year would probably have to be the argumentative writing. It seemed easier that I expected it to be. All I had to do is gather a lot of research and write about it. The TKAM thematic essay was interesting too. I did not do as well as the argumentative writing on it, but the experience of writing TKAM was great. To Kill a Mockingbird was probably my favorite book we read the whole year.

     The advice I give to future students is simply not to procrastinate. There are several things in Mrs. Larson's class that is due at the end of the week. I found myself procrastinating and leaving everything for Thursday nights. Everything is due on Thursday, it was a rush hour. I was not the only one who procrastinated. It seemed almost everyone waited until Thursday. 7th and 8th graders of upcoming years please do not procrastinate. It is a virus that grows, but may get cured with hard work an determination.

     I have a passion for writing. I hope to become a journalist, or something close to that. I know, for sure, there is still a lot of improvement I need. I hope blogger can help me with that. Most students do not ant to continue their blogger, but I do. I hope a good amount of students continue blogger so I can see how they are in life. Therefore, this is NOT my last blog post. It is my last blog post for middle school. When middle school gets mentioned in my future, I think I will automatically think "Mrs. Larson's class." This class was a great first experience of literature. Thank you, Mrs. Larson.

No comments:

Post a Comment