Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Alchemist; Week of 12-19-13

Pages Read: Prologue
Prompt: Summarize what you have just read. Select a quote from your reading that you liked. What made you pick it? How does it make you pause and think?

     The Alchemist, from what I have heard, is a very famous book by Paulo Coelho. This book is translated in 56 different languages. Before I started reading the book I read the Author's note and all of the comments that were given to the book from companies. I do not know what those comments are called. I usually skip all of that, but for this book I read it with great interest in it. I just started reading it today. I have only made it past the prologue. The prologue really grasped me into the book which is the first in forever.

     In the prologue it basically tells about the legend of Narcissus. He would always be looking at his own reflection in the river until one day he fell in. The spot where he fell, a flower bloomed. The lake is out of fresh water then it had salty drops in it. The Goddess of the forest appeared and asked why the lake was crying. The lake replied it is because of Narcissus. The Goddess thought the lake wept because  since he is gone so is his beauty so she assured him that there is no reason in wasting tears because of his beauty. The lake responded, "I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected." The ending of this prologue left me in a world of unknown.

     A quote I liked in this book was, "Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worst than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams." This is a quote that you would have to read slowly in order to understand the first sentence. I also loved his quote because it speaks the truth. Quotes like these must be kept in memory and at heart.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your blog this week. You explained what was happening really well.

    ReplyDelete