Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars - Week of 1/20/14

FEW SPOILERS

Prompt: After reading I wonder...
Pages Read: 1-130

     "[Green] shows us true love--two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals--and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach" 
-The New York Times Book Review

   
     This New York Times review explains exactly what I think about this book! Most people that being different than anyone else changes the way people see you as. I used to think that too until I started reading this book. Teenagers, Augustus and Hazel, are falling in love but the only thing in the way is cancer but that is not stopping them to be brave. Even though Augustus has already gone through pain he is not letting that scare him from vein with Hazel. Though, she is worried to hurt him because of her cancer. Their bravery is the only thing they have faith on.

     After reading only half of this book I have so many questions in my head. I am thinking how fortunate I am to be healthy. I feel so fortunate which quickly got substituted with guilt in me. That is not a pleasant feeling. Which makes me wonder if anybody else feels guilty when they read this book. Then I imagine myself in each character's position. Isaac being blind, Hazel with cancer, and Augustus with his fake leg. I think I would rather be born blind that become blind later on in my life. I imagine myself in Isaac's place by driving to the hospital to remove the cancer from my eyes but it will leave me blind. As I make my way to the hospital I would wonder, "Will I remember very color? What if someone kidnaps me and I do not even know it? If I do forget colors and shapes how can someone describe something to me? How will I learn to read?" All these questions I would have If I were in Isaac's position. A huge sacrifice to make to be healthy. The thought of suffering is worst than the suffering itself. Hazel I can already guess how she feels because the book is in her point of view. Augustus, I do not exactly know how he feels because he is in love with Hazel and she is in danger of dying so why is he putting himself in a risky zone of pain and agony of sadness. Augustus has already lost his old girlfriend to cancer, so my question is why go through this again? I just think that since I cannot imagine myself in love I do not know why Augustus would do this.

     Maybe love gets you to do stupid things from what I have heard and seen. All these thoughts, questions, and imagination inside my head is petrifying
me for some reason. If you read the book please, please, please, tell me your thoughts on the book and your questions. Please include you opinions too! The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a book that really make you think about your life and how fortunate you are. Maybe for some readers it makes them think that they are not alone in this world. I am hoping that few think that the characters in this book are more fortunate than them. I do not like seeing people suffer. I wish everybody the best of luck in their life and years to come, hopefully.

5 comments:

  1. Sarai, I am so happy you are reading The Fault In Our Stars! You are right though, maybe love does make you do stupid things, make promises that you would never make. With this in mind I believe it is important that you think of this:
    “Some people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them," I said.
    "Right, of course. But you keep the promise anyway. That's what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway.”
    This is a quote from the book you are reading, I don't know if you have gotten that far and I hope I have not spoiled it for you. People don't realize falling in love, and making it stay that way is difficult.You might hear, "I fell in love at first sight" or something like that. That is all superficial, you don't fall in love with somebody by just looking at them. Together you grow to trust and care for each other. That care and trust is so big for one another you might just do "stupid" things for each other. But then again, what do I know? I'm just a thirteen year old who is still waiting for her acceptance letter to Hogwarts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on Steven, Giana, and Isabelle B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a lot of people read this book and this book is in second place (first place Divergent). I found out that this book is going to turn into a motion picture film. I like how your blog is so thorough. The quote really fits this blog because it shows us what other people think about this book. This blog is great because you included so many lines from the book and a link to the author. Great Blog Post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your questions are great! Not only do they apply to the book, but to real life. i had some of the same questions while reading the book, too. I really love how you wish people the best of luck in your blog, too. It's nice to see something really motivating like that in writing! I don't really know how Augustus can handle being with Hazel after Caroline, but then again, Caroline and Hazel are very different. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a heartfelt blog, Sarai! I have yet to read this book, but I love John Green, so I will soon.

    ReplyDelete