Thursday, January 30, 2014

Scat - Week of 1/27/14

Prompt: What special way did the author write (for example, flashbacks, told in first person, multiple voice narrative, foreshadowing, lost descriptive words that create images of your mind, etc.)? Dis that make reading it better or worse? Explain.

Pages Read: 1-110

     This is the kind of book that is fun to read! Scat is about a science class going on a field trip expecting it to be fun but then something 'tragic' goes wrong. Their evil science teacher goes missing. No one likes Mrs. Starch but they all worry about her because she is still their teacher. It is only up to two students, Nick and Marta, to go look for her. The only problem is, no one has a clue where she might be. Mrs. Starch has no contact with people at all, she has no family members around and rumor says that her husband moved away because of her poisonous snakes. The idea of a teacher going missing is very common but author, Carl Hiaasen, does a splendid job at making this story one of a kind!

     A special way that I think Carl writes is having the point of view focus on the principle too. Most of the time is is the main character or the main character's best friend. Since he has the point of view of the principle I wonder why the author's intention was to have it on his point of view... Maybe something very surprising will happen in the book or maybe that was just to give the readers more information on how teachers are handling things with the missing teacher. I have so many predictions my my mind and I am full of curiosity. I really like how the writing of Carl Hiaasen caused me to have many questions and comments.

     Another special way I think the author writes is how he puts humor in his characters. I find this is giving the book a more realistic feel to it. Most of us, youngsters like to fool around a lot and so Carl put that in his book which allowed me to connect to the
book. Most of the time connecting to the text to self makes it more realistic and believable because you know the experience. That is why I am enjoying his book so much and I thought this was a great pick for Battle of the Books.

3 comments:

  1. I'd be a little panicked to if I'd lost my teacher/guide all of a sudden. Also, I'm not sure about that concept being common, but the details of this blog made me think it was better than the common books about teachers going missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on Nadrian, Amelia, and Leanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest I wouldn't be worried if my teacher got lost. I mean the teacher is an adult and it is her own fault for getting lost and losing her students in the first place. Wow. I'm such a bad person. Sorry, it's just my opinion. Anyway great blog this week. You have a great taste in books! You've read Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Fault in Our Stars which are both some of my favorites. I might look into reading this.

    ReplyDelete