Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars - Week Of 2/3/14

Prompt: Discuss what you like and/or dislike about what you are reading.
Pages Read: 130-230

     I find this book so adorable (I am such a girl). Everything that happens between Hazel and Augustus is just perfect! Do not get me wrong, though. I am not saying this book is perfect because to me not everything is perfect. There are always some flaws in a book but these flaws are just in my opinion. Author, John Green, is the kind of author who makes small things in life seem something much bigger. Which, I value that when it comes to realistic fiction. The idea of making a book about two cancer lovers is just adoring but tragic at the same time.

     What I did not really appreciate though, was how fast the story line was going. Hazel, a 16 year-old girl with stage four lung cancer, just met Augustus, 17 real-old boy with an artificial leg whom he lost because of cancer, and they take a trip together to Amsterdam. Of course, with the adult supervision of Hazel's mother. I just feel like how can they go on a trip together when they just met. Well, I actually do not know what bothers me about that. I just feel like something is missing there, maybe like something bad to happen. There are people who have read this book tell me that I am not in the sad part yet but still, the story is dragging for me.

     What I did like about this book is how much humor it has! I find myself laughing out loud at times. Like when we do silent reading in class, it is hard for me to keep myself reticent. I also loved how John Green would describe something in the book but since it is in Hazel's point of view it would match her personality. For example when describing Augustus smile, "Deliciously crooked smile..." I thought that was creative. After reading John Green's other book Looking For Alaska and reading this book too makes me wonder what did it take for John Green to write books like these. Those two books are mostly set in teenagers point of view then there is always something tragic happening. Green then makes the stories small events into something bigger and valuable. I just really wonder about his teenage years...


PLEASE Watch the trailer

3 comments:

  1. I commented on Abdiel, Isabelle R, and Citlalli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, Sarai! I can see you are working hard on your word choice and it is paying off! Check out this article... http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/style/2014/02/01/esther-earl-quincy-teen-inspiration-for-two-books/qnl8F2Y2z5Jk3LbG1h5xSO/story.html

    You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarai,
    Great job with your blog this week, it was great! I have to agree with Mrs. Larson, your word choice is exceptional! It makes the blog more interesting, and have a beautiful flow. I also really enjoyed your descriptions of why you liked or disliked the story! I definitely understand what you mean when you say you feel like something was missing, and I would be annoyed too! Sometimes I just feel like a story need more "meat" instead of a more "bare-bones" type feel. I'm guessing that may be how you felt when you were reading it, like it needed more! I also like how you described how you wonder what the author's teenage years were like because of the things he writes about! I think that added humor to your blog, and was also good to get people thinking, and I think it's a great thing to look into and think about! So, overall great job with your blog this week, and I look forward to reading more of your blogs in the future.

    ReplyDelete