Thursday, February 20, 2014

Rules (Little bit of John Green too) : 2-17-14

Prompt: Write a summary of what you have just read.
Pages read: 1-32

     Before I begin I would like to talk about The Fault in Our Stars. I know what John Green did to his readers. He first created a huge bundle of happiness throughout most of the story. Taking a pistil he shot that bundle straight in the middle, disintegrating all that happiness that he built up. The rest of the story he little by little glued all of the pieces back together. Green did that by telling the good sides at the end of the story. Teaching all of us this huge life lesson in the end which slowly recovers us. I am not just talking about this one book though, this also has to do with Looking for Alaska. This is the unique talent of John Greens writing. You just have to be valorous to read his novels.

      (I am not so good at summaries so I want to improve my summary writing.)

     Twelve-year-old girl, Catherine just cannot stand her brother. She wants a normal life but it is very hard when her brother, David, has autism. She struggles to get her brother to wait in the car. When David asks Catherine a question like, "What time will dad come home from work?" the answer has to be either "Yes" or "No." David does not allow "Maybe" or "I don't know," but Catherine truly didn't know what time her dad will come home. She didn't think on replying to that question so in the car he threw a tantrum. Then out the window they were looking at the men outside a truck moving stuff into their new neighbor's house. Catherine's old neighbor, Mrs. Bowman, told her that the new neighbor will have a daughter around her age so that is one thing to look forward to. Catherine is always alone in the summer because her best friend, Melissa, spends her whole vacation with her dad. Now she won't be so lonesome.

     When they arrive to the clinic that is the only time Catherine gets to spend with her mom. As she colors her mom reads Harry Potter to her. Catherine has drawn almost everything and everybody in the clinic except for this 16 year old boy, Jason, he can't talk fro some
unknown reason and he is always on a wheelchair. He has this book on his lap full of words so that he may communicate with others by pointing at the words and phrases. Jason's mother is sitting next to him and notices Catherine drawing Jason. She tells Catherine to stop in an impertinent way. Catherine gets upset but Jason's face expression is unobservant so she can't tell what he is feeling. As Jason and his mother leave the clinic he caught a glance of a different drawing Catherine made and he liked it. As a generous act she gave it to him. That is the start of a new friendship for Catherine.

5 comments:

  1. I liked how you included your positive opinion about your last book. I think it's great how you didn't let your readers hanging when you finished your other book. I'm not good at summaries either I always write too much instead too little. I like how you included a lot of detail in your summary even though you barely started the book. I also liked how you had a good choice of vocab. Great Blog Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post I really liked how you talked about the last book and your thoughts before you started talking about another story. I also liked how you admitted that you weren't so good at writing summaries but wanted to improve. In my opinion, you really did improve! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, I love how you added the bit about The Fault In Our Stars!!! That's exactly how I felt! I really liked your summary! It's cool how you did the summary so you could get better at them. Now I kind of know what I'll be doing for my next blog because I'm really bad at them. *Cough* summary *Cough* If this was on the back of a book cover I think it would be really good for readers to know what's going on! I think the first paragraph of the summary is really good, but with the second paragraph I think you should've added less about Jason and how Catherine meets him. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented on Leanna, Abdiel, and Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Your metaphor for The Fault in Our Starts and word choice is phenomenal! Great improvement!

    ReplyDelete