Thursday, May 8, 2014

An Abundance of Katherines: Week of 5-5-14

Prompt: Prove what the author is trying to tell you about life. (The moral of the story)What is your favorite part of the book you're reading? Why?
Pages Read: FINISHED
Author: John Green


     I think John Green is a very interesting author to study his writing. He always has this theme going on in every one of his books. I am actually surprised death wasn't involved in in AAOK. There was a really good moral in the story that I think everyone should know. I think the moral of the story is best described by a saying that is well known everywhere. "Don't judge a book by it's cover."I will just switch it a little to, "Don't judge a book by it's title." I think this saying matched the book because in the beginning Colin has a type he only likes girls who are named, Katherine. Specifically Katherine, K.A.T.H.E.R.I.N.E it has to be spelled that way, and pronounced that way, of course. Colin has been dumped by ALL the Katherines he has dated. In total they are 19 Katherines out of 19 people he has dated. I guess that is a sign for him to date different girls but he does not understand that.

     My favorite part of the book was when Colin and Hassan were about to meet Lindsey's friends. While the three of them were talking Lindsey left to go get her friends. While Lindsey and her friends were walking towards Colin and Hassan, they quickly quickly set up a story pretending to be someone else. Colin was visiting America from another country and did not speak english. Hassan is his translator assistant. When Colin spoke in a different language, Hassan did not understand so he just made up funny stuff. Until eventually he went overboard.

     I thought this scene was very funny and creative because Colin and Hassan did not really discuss what they would do. They just discussed their character of what they will pretend to be. I thought this scene showed true friendship and creativity. It also reminded me of the kind of friendship I have with my friends, Ebony, Nora, Emily, and Fran. We always go with the flow. We understand each other, and we are not afraid of doing random embarrassing stuff around each other. We just like to have fun. Just how John Green put an amazing fun-packed adventure in AAOK.



   

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog this week! I loved the part where you told us how you felt. Like funny, and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on Citlalli, Amelia, and Marisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved your blog this week. I loved how you had a little bit of everything, like parts from the book, your opinion, and even a text to self connection. I feel like someone will die, because John Green always has a huge plot twist in his books. Wow, this book is not at all what I have expected it to be. Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog this week!!! I really though you did good because you picked a moral that you thought was actually a moral. Not a moral commonly used. You thought of you own. :)

    ReplyDelete