Wednesday, May 14, 2014

In Darkness: Week Of 5-12-14

Prompt: Do you like what your reading? Why or why not?
Pages Read: 1-80
Author: Nick Lake

     In my opinion I am truly finding this book entertaining, but that does not mean I am liking it. Like I am enjoying it because of the different emotions it is giving me which I find entertaining. Also I just started reading this book so I am neutral on it. I still have a lot to read but the plethora of pages I have absorbed was breathtaking. This book, I will admit, is a little over dramatic. It looses it's realistic feeling. I think it is the drama that is giving me these surprising emotions though. I like reading books that are able to control my emotions.

     This book is taken place in Haiti when the most recent earthquake happened which is in 2010. The author, Nick Lake, was inspired to write a story about a person being trapped in the rubble of a hospital. Which we are introduced to the main character and his thoughts while being alone in the dark inside the rubble. In his point of view, he tells us how he got to the hospital in the first place, his tragedy of loosing his sister and father, and his faults. It is surprising how much this boy has experienced at a very early age. An age that is younger than me. This book leaves me wondering, are there people like that who actually think like him and do actions like him? It just leaves my brain wondering off during reading the book because of the surprising actions of his. This book will suck you into the pages. It will not let you go. Maybe after you finnish reading it but my prediction is that you would need some time to recover from what happened. It is basically playing with my emotions.

     Overall just by based on what I have read so far, yes, I do like what I am reading. I might need to get my own copy of it myself. I also hope in the end there will be a happy ending. That is what I am hoping but not what I am predicting.

4 comments:

  1. Good blog Sarai. I like how you really explained every aspect of what was happening in the book, including the setting. I always have a hard time doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you sat next to me and you were reading this book. From what you told me to read from the book, I found that most of it was implied at first. By reading your second paragraph all of it came really clear to me. Would you count this as a biography about a boy or was it just realistic fiction? That question you asked in the second paragraph was a question I probably would've asked. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is unique. I remember that disaster in Haiti, it was terrible and it was all over the news. This is the first book that I've heard that is based on what happened in Haiti. I like how you said that you are enjoying the book, but that doesn't mean you like it. I agree. This doesn't seem like a book I would read but I should check it out over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented on Amelia, Citlalli, and Diego

    ReplyDelete