Thursday, May 1, 2014

Of Mice and Men: Week of 4-28-14

MAJOR SPOILER!

Prompt: What makes the story meaningful?
Pages Read: FINISHED
Author: John Steinbeck


     There are so many things that makes the story meaningful. Especially the ending which stands out for everyone. Since I read this book with my class and I had my teacher guiding me through this novella, I was able to evaluate the story more. We went more into depth of all the character's thoughts and emotions. Even though some of our assignments and brainstorming was difficult at the end there were still good points in the story. If I were to read this novella without some guidance and thoughts from others I would not see the true meaning and value of the book.

    What made the story meaningful was that the combination it had. It had friendship, historical fiction, humor, and friendship. Yes, I know I already wrote friendship but that's what stood out to me the most. Friendship also stood in the characters in this book. Like when the characters talked to George about how it's interesting that he and Lennie travel together. Friendship stood out to them too. Most men during this time period are independent. They travel from ranch to ranch working and more work. George, him being the smart one, I am surprised that he has not left Lennie. Like George said, "God a'mighty, if I was alone I could live so easy." Lennie is basically dragging George. Yet, despite the complaining that George always does, he does not leave Lennie. Lennie suggested to leave him alone and he can live in a cave with no ketchup, but George refused him to leave his side. That is showing friendship, and humor.

     At the very end, something very odious happened. Lennie was killed by George. Lennie kept causing trouble that eventually he went overboard. He had killed Curley's Wife and the men from the ranch including Curley wanted to go kill Lennie. Instead George killed him. Better have George do it than the others because Lennie would be mad at George for letting them kill him. Instead he would probably understand why George was the one to do it. Also I don't think the men would just kill Lennie. They would probably want to torture him first. I know most people won't agree with me on this but this is just my opinion.

     Another thing that made it meaningful was how Lennie got killed. We know he was killed by George, but while they were talking by the Salinas river they were talking about their dream. George was telling Lennie to imagine their ranch they would soon own. While they recited their dream Lennie was killed in that moment. He died living in the dream. It was not something George wanted to do but he had to. This novella showed me that friendship is highly needed for everyone and there are risks when bonding with another human being.

"We could live offa the fatta the lan'."

3 comments:

  1. Sarai,
    I really enjoyed reading you blog this week! It was really good. I liked how you explained how if you didn't have guidance from your piers that you wouldn't have got the true worth of the book. I never really thought of that. I do agree with you, that by reading as a class and doing worksheets on it, I understood the true meaning of the friendship and everything about the book. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on Leanna, Jenna, and Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarai,

    I really enjoyed your blog! You used a lot of detail and that helped me understand what you were trying to say. I also liked how you made this an objective summary rather than a subjective one. Great job.

    ReplyDelete