Monday, November 10, 2014

Th1rteen R3asons Why - Week of 11/3/14

Prompt: Why did you chose to read this book?
Pages Read: 1-44
Author: Jay Asher

     The reason why I chose this book because I have been wanting to read a book with mystery in it. Plus, I have asked those who have read the book to tell me their opinion. They all said they loved the book. Though, one person told me this, exact words, "Its one of those rare books that after you are done, you just take a moment to think about it." That is my major motivation for reading it. I love books that gives me a book hangover. When a book captivates me by sucking me into the pages full of ink, I know I have just lived another life.

     This book is about a boy in high school receives a package full of tapes. All recorded by a girl who has committed suicide. The recordings are giving reasons why she has committed suicide. There are thirteen tapes in total. Thus the title Thirteen Reasons Why. Most books I have read about suicide, depression, or self-harm always seem over exaggerated to me. Sometimes that even seem too dramatic. Maybe thats just me. Though, this book seems different because it does not concentrate on life problems and suicide. My prediction of what will happen at the end is not that specific but I know the author will give an overall message that I might be too surprised to understand. Many feelings to be processed at once, getting overwhelmed out of excitement with anger that it just kills you. Just like getting struck like lightening, comes fast but it kills you.

3 comments:

  1. Every time I see someone reading this book they always tell me that they love it. I'm pretty sure someone the other day told me how much they loved it. It's so uncanny! I love books that make me think afterward, but aren't boring. I feel like that happened to me when I read The Giver. I really liked you last two sentences, "many feelings to be processed at once, getting overwhelmed out of excitement with anger that it just kills you. Just like getting struck like lightening, comes fast but it kills you. " When a book has that, you know that it's great which I think is why I think a lot of people liked the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarai,
    I absolutely love your Blog from this week! My favorite part of the post was how you included the quote at the beginning that explains your main motivation for reading the Novel. It now makes me want to read the book more than I already wanted to! I love books that cause me to think afterwards, and ones that I don't want to finish, but keep reading, and you are really able to convince me that this book will have these qualities! Overall, I love your blog and can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented on Maria, Carlos, and Steven

    ReplyDelete