Friday, November 14, 2014

Th1rteen R3easons Why - Week of 11-10-14

1- Analyze the impact word choice has on the meaning or tone of a text.
2- Analyze how dialogue or specific incidents reveal information about characters. Make sure to include textual evidence.




     
     The word choice in this book is not that impressive, in my opinion. I do not think there is a few more improvement to make to set the tone. Though the types of sentences does create the tone  Since most of the sentences are questions that the narrator/main character says it creates more of a mysterious tone. For me mostly, it sets curiosity. The curiosity makes me want to find out more. Did Hannah really kill herself? What was the reason of suicide? By who is Clay being watched? Many more questions keep popping up in my head and there is nothing I can do about it than to read. Though, there are a few slight word choices that Hannah Baker says on her stories she tells. The way she describes people she has encountered has always been in a negative way. Also to create tension to a story the sentence would be separated from a paragraph to make it dramatic. Not overly dramatic that makes it unbelievable but enough to fill the mood in the story.
     
     Dialogue was something that was revealed more about a character. When Clay went to go "borrow" a Walkman from his friend, Tony. When Tony was first introduced he was introduced as a friendly person who has a strong connection with his dad. I can see how his relationship could be overlooked but I predict that it will come useful later on in the book. When Tony and his dad were introduced they were working on fixing a car together. Seems like a usual father and son bond but there is more. When Clay asks if they are fixing it because it broke down or is it just for fun. Tony's father replies, "Isn't everything fun with Tony." Which shows the love of a father for his son. In return Tony smiles and laughs. They continue their work when Clay leaves. 
     
     When Hannah tells a memory when she was talking to Jessica involving some rumors that are not true, Jessica's dialogue shows that she believes the rumors. First she tells Hannah, "I know the rumors," and sternly looks at her and and hits her leaving a scar. When Hannah continues to tell the story she says, "Jessica, you left a scar. I don't just mean from the slap I mean a scar in your life. In everyone's life, everyone who is listening to this." What I think she means by this is that to all the listeners to her tapes they have each taken part of Hannah's suicide. Attitude in dialogue could show hate or love for someone in this book is shows a mixture of hate or love. There is no in between. That is why there seems to be gaps in Hannah's life that can only be filled in if the reader reads more and that is what I will be doing.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was unique how you revealed qualities of a character, but had also shown the relationship they have with somebody. I can relate on your side where you believe that the word choice wasn't really "impressive" because *NightJohn* wasn't a challenge for word choice. I haven't read a book like this in awhile. Maybe I'll look into it more. Outstanding blog!

    ReplyDelete