Thursday, January 8, 2015

My First Adventure - Hawaii

Prompt: When was the last time you did something for the first time?

     I do not really remember anything amazing I have done for the first time. Well at least not recently. Then I remembered my Hawaii trip last October. That was my first time traveling across the ocean to get to a different part of the world. Though, I wasn't the one flying the plane, so for me that doesn't count. Then I thought what I did in Hawaii... I went surfing (epic fail), hiking, almost got stung by an eel, went scuba diving and I also tried hawaiian food. We also did other things but those stood out the most because it is quite an thrill.

    The whole purpose for going to Hawaii was for a wedding. Then my dad and step-mom decided to take advantage and split the days to visit a friend who lives on a different island in Hawaii. Which takes us to O'ahu. There we went scuba diving which was my first time doing that. I was scared at first because but once I saw what was inside the ocean it was beautiful! There were fish with such vibrant colors and corals that felt fuzzy. We also went shopping to explore what kind of stores they have and other kinds of food restaurants. Of course, they had McDonald's. The people seem to be "chill" and have a lot of patience. They were nice people. Maybe a bit too nice at times... We rented a car so when we drove on the express way they had like 6 lanes for cars. Which surprised me considering it is such a small island. We visited only one beach because of the short time we had there. The beach was stunning. There were fish everywhere though they didn't bother us. My dad decided to rent a paddle board. That is when we saw an eel.

The bride and groom
     I was on the paddle board my little sister next to me along with my step-mom and her mom. My dad, who knows where he was at the moment but it was just us. Then my little sister asked what was that black fish moving in the water. My step-mom looks at it and thinks it a rock so she touches it with her foot. Then it started to slither around an we realized what is was. She screamed and grabbed my little sister putting her on the paddle board with me which caused me to fall down into the water. I tried hard to get back up then I felt the eel going around me. My step-grandma helps me back up and we swim out of the water. Yea, that just happened.

     Now lets skip to Maui. That was where the wedding took place. It was such a beautiful wedding by the beach and there wasn't a lot of people therefore is was calm. The wedding was the first event we did on that island. On my way to to wedding we passed by some beautiful scenery of a beach with palm trees. Everything was surreal! Right after the wedding we got to throw flower pedals which smelled really good. What I also liked about the wedding was that we has tonight up some sparklers and create two lines forming a passage for the bride and groom to walk under.  The bride, I have known her since I was 3 years old. She was always the type of person to wear loose clothing and no makeup. Well, she is naturally pretty but seeing her in her wedding dress made me very happy for her. Her husband I have also known him since I was three he is always the type of man to be kind and warm-hearted. They make perfect match. My family and I were the only hispanics there. When we asked the DJ to play some spanish music everyone was confused at first but then started dancing which was a bit entertaining to watch. Overall, the wedding was amazing!

My dad and sister
     There were days when we spent the whole day going to different beaches. After the eel incident my step-mom was a bit unsure go the beaches but still went in. The only reason she went in was because of something she always wanted to do and it is on her bucket list for her family to do this activity along with her and this activity is surfing. We had an instructor to tell us how to stand up on the board. First we practiced on the sand. Then we practiced paddling our selves to a wave. We also had to learn to identify the perfect surfing wave. Then it was time. First went my dad who couldn't even stand up without falling. Then my step-mom who was able to stand up but not for long. My step-grandma was just taking care of my little sister while watching us fail until it was my turn. It was very hard though I think it would have been harder if I didn't know how to ride a skateboard. I think I lasted a goo 5 seconds. Which was nothing compared to other surfers. I got hit on the head with my surf board. Which was very painful. Though it was a good experience.


     
Alien fruit
On our way up (supposedly)
     We had a whole day just eating food. I tried coconut for the first time it was good. There for is like a mixture of a lot of things, includes a lot of fruit. We also tried this red hairy fruit which was like a giant grape on the inside and it was good. Despite the fact it looks like something an alien might eat it was delicious. I saved my last adventure for the best. It was when we went hiking up a mountain. It was very dangerous. At the very top people would pass out because it was too much exercise. We had to go through a spiral staircase a steep staircase and climb some rocks. It was a bad idea to take my sister's stroller, let alone my sister. That was my thought at first but she did a great job. I was just the one to carry her stroller halfway there. It was nothing compared to the walk I did in Mexico a couple years ago but this was more dangerous I will admit I was scared. Once we got on the top the view was amazing! I also noticed there was an emergency helicopter landing. That was like foreshadow. When we made it at the top there was this couple taking pictures then I see the boyfriend sit down but misses his seat on a rock. He falls back and almost hits his head on the rail. I got scared and my first reaction was to yell for my step-mom because she is a doctor and knows how to handle these situations. Chaos of a huge crowd started surrounding the man, my step-mom pushes pass them and helps him out. She gives him water and kept his legs elevated up for blood circulation. His girlfriend (or so I thought) said he was perfectly healthy but was freaking out. This took about 2 hours for my stepmom to take care of him before the medics came in the helicopter. My dad, sister, and grandma were just waiting on the stair the whole time. When my stepmom finally came she told us everything that was going on. I will not share the man's problem because it is personal. After the 
commotion we climbed back down and the 
When we made it on top

adventure was over for the day.

     The next day we see the couple coming out of a limousine in front of our hotel. The lady was in a wedding dress and the man was in a suit. They were getting married, no wonder the man passed out! (Just kidding.) I just find this ironic. Well as it turns out my whole Hawaii trip was a first to many things. This blog is the longest blog I have eve written what a way to start off the first blog of 2015! If anyone made it this far to read, Thank you!







2 comments:

  1. I commented on Marisa, Maria, and Bela!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sarai! This was an incredible blog! I think we have a travel blogger in the midst.:) I loved being able to live vicariously through you and your travels to Hawaii...it is definitely on my Bucket List.

    I found your experience with the surfboard amusing! I, myself, have tried surfing and it's HARD WORK! When you look back on life though, it is through these adventures that we accumulate that truly make life wonderful.

    ReplyDelete